Translate

Sunday 7 June 2009

Dawn Dupree`s workshop.

It is so great after all those hours of digging, manuring,planting watering ,throwing down slug pellets, to start reaping the benefits. Over the Bank holiday I did a 3 day work shop with Dawn Dupree, of the supermarket trolley fame, her work is not quite what I would want to put on my walls but she gets fantastic depth to her screen prints, and she is a very good tutor. Two of her pieces are shown below, she is into vacuum cleaners ironing boards and of course trolleys.
The first day we had to decide on the design that we wanted on our silk screens, I spend a lot of time at workshops thinking why didn't I do that or bring that I did not know that you could bring a image and have it photocopied ready to go on the screen so I had to draw mine, well you live and learn. We dyed fabrics with dye pastes , steamed then we discharged the fabrics and steamed again,the next day we procion dyed and discharged again,followed by pigment printing and flocking and foiling. It was fantastic but very tiring and I was almost glad to go back to work for a rest.
Dawn on the left putting the fabric into the steaming machine.




Some of my work in progress.




The washing line ,luckily it was quite sunny so fabrics dried well.




This is the machine used for flocking and foiling.









This lady was doing pictures of her children.

















































This is a photocopied image of a bewigged gentleman. Drawings of boots and jars.












The two lasses over from Ireland were well prepared, they had brought images to photocopy and then image onto the screen.The writing is from a letter of her Mother in laws who had died last year.




























The red flocked image is a cow.

















They were both very industrious and really pushed the boundaries, it must have been expensive to come over from Cork and stay for 3 nights but they said they do not get this level of tutoring in Ireland ,we are so lucky here.
































The two below are from one of my screen prints I had to drawn the out by hand as I did not bring any images to photocopy, the others had the sense to bring ready made images.

















































































This piece was printed at the workshop and flocked,the maroon circles at the bottom and the squares in the centre are flocked, I like this piece and will put it up on the wall when I can work out how to display it. The pieces below I have done at home using a screen and Gocco printed screens,I pinched the idea of carrots from one of the Irish girls I love them so quirky.















































This is my favourite the colours in real life are darker and more vibrant this one is going up on the wall we are supposed to be down sizing but i need all the wallspace I can get!























The trouble with size 8 feet is they are so large they always get in the photo.
























2 comments:

Sandra Wyman said...

Love these - sounds like a brilliant workshop

Things Hand Made said...

Wow, completly bowled over by all that. Evertything I do is so fiddly and small but thats looks free and spontaeaous. I keep menaing to plunge in and do a workshop like that but then I chicken out!